◆Teachers of College
Integration of theory and practice, a well-rounded science and technology education.
History and Development
The College of Science has played an important role within the university since its inception.All the great universities in the world have one thing in common: an outstanding college of science. Without doubt, the College of Science at NUK meets this global standard. Our programs provide students and faculty with a challenging and stimulating learning, teaching, and research environment. In addition to basic research and teaching, we emphasize practical applications in sciences and technology to meet the needs of high technology. Using this framework, the College of Science was established in January, 2004, comprising of four departments and two institutes,listed below in chronological order:
Department of Applied Mathematics (BSc,2000;MSc,2006 and PhD,2008)
- Department of Applied Chemistry(BSc,2001 and MSc,2006)
- Department of Life Sciences (BSc, 2001 and MSc)
Department of Applied Physics
(BSc, 2002 and MSc, 2007)
Institute of Statistics (MSc, 2003 and PhD, 2006)
The College currently has 4 departments, 2 institutes, and 48 full-time faculty members.Our faculty is young, energetic, and dedicated. Course design and faculty recruitment have concentrated on applied science. Courses at the College are taught with a powerful balance between theory and real-world application. Hence, the faculty not only provides academic expertise, but also hopes to develop the students into good citizens and future leaders by helping them attain their goals in life through personal care and attention.
The College achieves this by:
- Modernization: It collaborates in high tech areas, such as nano-technology, biotech, computing, and statistical consulting, to establish a complete program across the University’s many departments.
- Industry and application: Our unique “applied” approach involves collaboration with industries to meet the needs of high tech fields.
- Creativity and competitiveness: It develops creative teaching methods using high-tech teaching tools such as 3D interactive courses. Students compete in science competitions and fairs to showcase learning and teaching results.
- Globalization and exchange: Outstanding faculty demonstrate teaching techniques, attend interdisciplinary basic science teaching camp to improve teaching quality, and increasingly use English in the classroom to prepare for globalization.
- Regionalization: It sponsors science teacher camp (targeting vocational, middle, and high school teachers) and science camp (targeting middle and high school students).
Goals and Future Outlook
To establish further undergraduate as well as graduate degree programs, independent institutes, and research centers in the next five years in response to the growing needs of industry.
- To incorporate resources across and beyond the University’s departments and colleges to enhance research and teaching.
- To develop well-rounded students using cutting-edge laboratories, other facilities, and courses.
- To improve traditional and create new methods of science teaching through high-tech tools and methods.
- To enhance web and on-line teaching resources through improved electronics and courseware.
- To promote lifelong learning and development for students and faculty.